FlavourSpec is the ideal instrument for the analysis of the headspace of liquid and solid samples.
The simplicity of use and ability to handle multiple samples in automation make the FlavourSpec an innovative and trend setting
It is ideal for applications in solving analytical questions in the food and beverage industry, such as:
- Control of storage conditions and packing materials
- Food freshness
- Control and optimisation of production processes
- Flavour evaluation and stability
- Test and authentication of raw materials and/or products etc.
The instrument configuration consists of a GC column coupled to an IMS detector to allow fast and enhanced selectivity of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) in the headspace of solid and liquid samples.
Main features and benefits:
- Speed of analysis, with typical analysis lasting 3-7 minutes.
- Operates at atmospheric pressure and without a need for Helium.
- The automatic headspace injector allows the fully automatic handling of multiple samples, including sample preparation such as heating up and mixing.
- Extreme sensitivity, on the ppt to low ppb range
- Includes GAS’s in-house data acquisition, analysis and visualization software LAV.
- The software features include:
- Matching of peak patterns with sensory-wise defined flavours
- Classification of unknown samples and characterization of, for example, their quality.
- Quantification of specific peaks for automatic concentration determination
Current users of the FlavourSpec include:
- Northumbria University in Newcastle
For more information contact us.
Food, beverage, Flavours and Fragrance industries
- Control of storage conditions
- Food freshness (determine the freshness of foods with a very quick analysis at the storage facility)
- Control of production process (understand how flavours and aromas evolve during your production process)
- Process optimisation
- Flavour evaluation and flavour stability
- Test of raw materials
- Product authentication (distinguish different product grades, different DOCs, etc.)
- Fully automated application for determination of levels of diacetyl and pentandione in beer – control your brewing process and determine your brewing endpoint
- Counterfeiting detection and authenticity analysis of food and beverage products
- Analysis of the headspace of liquid samples. Quickly measure volatiles, even at trace levels, in biofluid samples (blood, urine, sputum)
Click on the below for downloadable application notes:
- Headspace analysis of tea
- Impartial analyser for coffee quality
- Analysing the flavour and blend of olive oil
- Characterization of wine
- Soy sauce characterization
|Working principle||Ion Mobility Spectrometry (IMS)|
|Ionisation||ß-radiation source (Tritium (3H))|
|Activity||300 MBq, below the exemption limit of 1 GBq,
|Drift voltage polarity||Positive and negative, switchable|
|Sampling||Automatic GC headspace injector|
|Detection limit||Low ppbv|
|Dynamic range||1-3 orders of magnitude|
|Display||6.4″ TFT, VGA-Display|
|Input unit||Rotary pulse encoder|
|Processor||400 MHz X-scale|
|Data acquisition||Ultra-fast ADIO-board|
|Data processing||X-board / Baseboard|
|Data storage||2 GB Compact-Flash|
|Communication||RS232, USB, Ethernet|
|Electrical connectors||2 x D-Sub 9-pole (for modem,
console), D-Sub 15-pole (for external devices), RJ45 (for
digital modem or SSH), 2 x USB-A
|Power supply||100-240 V AC, 50-60 Hz (external supply),
24 V DC / 5A, XLR-connector (internal)
|Power consumption||< 180 Watt|
|Dimensions||449 x 375 x 177 mm (WxDxH)|
|Housing||19″ compatible, IP 20 enclosure, EMC certificated|
|Gas connectors||3 mm stainless steel Swagelok connectors
for gas in- and outlet
If you need any more information please complete the form below:
- Are you interested in the price of the FlavourSpec?
- Would you like to organize for a demonstration or feasibility study?
- Do you have some samples you would like us to run for you?
Leave us your details and we will contact you with the information that you need: