Traditionally, GC-ECD has been the analytical technique of choice for this monitoring, as it affords the sensitivity needed in these measurements. IMSPEX’s diagnostics FlavourSpec® is an instrument based on GC-IMS (Gas Chromatography – Ion Mobility Spectrometry) which affords the sensitivity and reproducibility needed by this analysis, whilst presenting a series of significant advantages which make it ideal for the beer brewing industry
FlavourSpec® is able to measure diacetyl and pentandione (VDK) in full automation.
- Sample preparation is handled by the CTC sample changer and oven integrated into the FlavourSpec®
- Diacethyl and pentandione levels are automatically calculated without user intervention, so that a non expert user can run the analysis
- The instrument is rugged and can be placed anywhere in the brewery, as all it needs to run is electricity and an air cylinder (no vacuum pump, no helium)
- Reduce your analytical instrument purchase cost and cost of ownership, increase your analysis speed and simplify your analysis
FlavourSpec shows many benefits when compared to alternative analytical instruments:
- Ionization source below EUROATOM radiation level so no bureaucracy or permits
- No helium (carrier gas in Nitrogen) means it is cheaper to run and no scarcity issues
- Runs at atmospheric pressure therefore does not need a vacuum pump
- Avoids costly breakdowns which can disrupt analytical function
- No noise
- More energy efficient
- Faster analysis – 20 minutes run time means increased ROI (more analyses per time unit)
- Sample preparation is fully automated so no skills needed from operator
- Analysis is fully automated so no skills needed from the operator
- Able to measure hops and flavouring agents in positive mode – QC/QA of ingredients from the same instrument
SABMiller plc, one of the World largest breweries, commented on our instrumentation
We find the FlavourSpec to be very well suited to the needs of the research brewery for both basic beer analysis and advanced testing of beer. This is valuable in optimising processes and ensuring that we maintain our high standards of beer quality throughout – Trevor Cowley, Project Brewer
One of the major brewery groups in Germany just emailed us saying:
The old GC-MS is now switched off and we measure VDKs only with FlavourSpec…
And FlavourSpec® can be used to measure many other compounds in brewing. Take a look at this ArticleNahrChemie2013 published in 2013 about measurement of other flavour-influencing compounds in beer.
Watch this video to get an idea of how simple to use the instrument is, and how to get from beer to report in a few, automated steps!
Would you like to find out more about FlavourSpec®, get pricing information or organize a site or web presentation? Fill in the form below:
The FlavourSpec VDK has been specially optimized to to quantify levels of Diacetyl and pentandione (VDK) in the beer brewing process.
If you have any questions about an application of yours or about the information above please contact us.
|Working Principle||Ion Mobility Spectrometry (IMS)|
|Ionisation||ß-radiation source (Tritium (3H))|
|Activity||300MBq, below the exemption limit of 1GBq, EURATOM guideline|
|Drift Voltage Polarity||Positive and negative, switchable|
|Sampling||Automatic GC headspace injector|
|Detection Limit||Low ppbv|
|Dynamic Range||1-3 orders of magnitude|
|Display||6.4″ TFT, VGA display|
|Input Unit||Rotary pulse encoder|
|Processor||400 MHz X-scale|
|Data Processing||X-board / Baseboard|
|Data Storage||2-GB Compact-Flash|
|Communication||RS232, USB, Ethernet|
|Electrical Connectors||2 x D-Sub 9-pole (for modem,
console), D-Sub 15-pole (for external devices), RJ45 (for
digital modem or SSH), 2 x USB-A
|Power Supply||100-240 V AC, 50-60 Hz (external supply),
24 V DC / 5A, XLR-connector (internal)
|Power Consumption||< 180 Watt|
|Dimensions||449 x 375 x 177 mm (WxDxH)|
|Housing||19″ compatible, IP 20 enclosure, EMC certificated|
|Gas Connectors||3 mm stainless steel Swagelok connectors
for gas in- and outlet
- Are you interested in the price of the FlavourSpec VDK?
- Would you like to organize for a demonstration or a feasibility study?
- Do you have some samples you would like us to run?
Leave us your details and we will contact you with the information that you need: